When Don’t I Need a CBT?

There are a few occasions where you will not need to complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) to get on the road on two wheels.

Most of those instances are based on where you live but more commonly, you do not need to complete your CBT if you have a full driving licence, but not always.

Here, we lift the lid on when you will not have to complete your CBT.

learner motorcyclist cbt

Islands that don’t require a CBT

You don’t need compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride on some offshore islands. This doesn’t include any islands connected to the mainland by road, including the following islands:

  • Isle of Wight
  • South Uist
  • North Uist
  • Benbecula
  • Harris
  • Lewis
  • mainland Orkney
  • mainland Shetland

Residents of all other islands don’t need to take CBT, unless you want to ride in a place where one is needed. Wherever you’re planning to ride on two wheels, we’d recommend checking with the local authority to find out what you may or may not need before starting out.

Compare insurance quotes now!

Cheapest motorcycle insurance price, guaranteed*

CBT if you have a car driving licence

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you can ride a moped without completing compulsory basic training (CBT).

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped licence. This means you won’t have to take CBT every 2 years to continue riding a moped.

If you already have a CBT certificate and then pass your car test, you can ride a moped without L plates without taking the full motorcycle test.

In this case the CBT certificate for riding mopeds will last for as long as your car licence. Got it?

95% of Reviewers recommend The Bike Insurer (based on 7957 reviews on www.reviews.co.uk as at 13/08/21)