What is Short Term motorbike insurance?

Short Term motorbike insurance is a flexible solution for riders who don’t stay on the road for 12 months a year.

motorbikes in garage

Lots of riders prefer to store their motorbike over winter rather than brave the elements and ride on when the rain, snow and ice drifts in.

But, if you’re paying for a full 12 months annual cover, when you only ride for a fraction of that time, you’re wasting money.

How do I calculate if Short Term motorbike insurance is cheaper for me?

If you’re a full on fair weather rider and you only really venture out on two wheels when the sun is shining, Short Term motorbike insurance could be more cost effective than paying for an annual policy.

To establish whether you would save money by getting a Short Term motorbike insurance policy, you need to be realistic and honest about how often you ride.

If for example, your riding is limited to three or four weekends in a year, Short Term insurance should be cheaper than an annual policy.

However, if you ride for six to eight months of the year, it might not, and the only real way to determine whether Short Term or annual cover is cheaper than the other is to compare prices.

Do I need to insure my motorbike if it’s off the road?

The DVLA has made it a legal requirement to either insure your motorbike or declare it off the road, under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) rules.

To combat uninsured riders and drivers in the UK, CIE rules came into place which means that even if your motorbike sits in a garage for just a couple of weekends a year, it must either be insured or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

How do I declare my motorbike as off road?

To declare your motorbike as off the road, you will need to complete a V11 or V85/1 form and send it to the DVLA.

Your motorbike will then receive a SORN for a set period of time and, once this has expired, you will need to declare it off the road again or get it insured.

How do I get my motorbike back on the road after receiving a SORN?

To reverse your SORN and get back on the road with your motorbike you will need to tax your motorbike again and then insure it, which is where Short Term insurance can help you out. Once you apply to tax your motorbike using a V5C form, your SORN will automatically expire.

How do I get Short Term motorbike insurance?

Almost all types of motorbike, regardless of age and size, can be covered on Short Term insurance policies.

You can also add breakdown and personal injury cover if you feel the need and Short Term motorbike insurance policies start from as little as one day to three months in length.

One of the only stipulations is that riders must be aged 21 or over.

Next page: What is Laid Up motorbike insurance?